Sunday, July 8, 2012

First Impressions

Ahoy mates! Finally got internet and power to my laptop. It was a hassle to get the converter and adapter for my laptop, but I finally got to it. It was nervewrecking at first, but being off the grid was kinda nice for a change.


























So, the flight was horrible (as you can imagine 21hours to be...) but once I got settled, it was worth it. Right now, I'm the only one living on my floor in Chisholm College (my dorm), but it's nice to be alone when I'm trying to get situated.



It took a few days, but I finally got the adapter to convert the electrical plugs to charge my laptop and iPod. Biggest change so far is my new phone. I got the cheapest prepaid phone available at Vodafone. It's the bare minimum, but it gets the job done.


I travelled here with Megan, a very sweet girl who is also from JMU. She's a rising junior, but she seems very mature for her age. I've gotten along with her very nicely and we've traveled to Australia together and also through the city the past few days. Yesterday, we spontaneously decided to take the Tram (a trolley system) to downtown Melbourne. It was only a 45 minute tram ride, but we got off frequently to see the different districts.







One of the biggest differences I've noticed in Australia, besides driving on the left side, is the pace of the everyday life. Unlike Americans, Aussies are never in a rush. They walk at a comfortable pace around the city and never speed in their cars. People weren't kidding when they said Australia is very laid-back.





Although I'm already loving what I see here in Australia, America will always be my home. I sure do miss people already.

No comments:

Post a Comment